This Year’s Theme:
COMMUNITY HELPERS AND HEROES
Who are community helpers and heroes? Community helpers and heroes provide services or goods that improve the overall well being of the community. Communities can be small with only a few buildings and homes, like a neighborhood block. They can be large with many buildings and homes like a town or borough. More than 8 million people live and work in New York City, making it one of the biggest communities in the world!Every day we depend on community helpers and heroes like trash collectors and MTA employees to keep our city clean and efficient. We count on police officers and local farmers to keep us safe and healthy. We rely on artists and teachers to help us grow and learn.Who are the helpers and heroes in your community? This year’s VSA NYC Calendar Project invites you to celebrate the everyday heroes who make your community a better place.
Marquis Studios / VSA NYC invites District 75 students and teachers to collaborate on compositions that highlight people and jobs that make their communities work. Students should draw from their own unique experiences with community helpers and heroes, though teachers are encouraged to explore both local and global communities.
TO SUBMIT ARTWORK, PLEASE EMAIL A HIGH RESOLUTION PHOTO TO: CALENDAR@VSANYC.ORG
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: Friday, June 1st, 2018
Teachers will be notified by June 5th, 2018 if their students’ artwork has been selected.
- Horizontally aligned, approximately 4:3 aspect ratio
- No larger than 40″ length x 30″ height x 6” depth
- Abstract and Realist submissions will be considered.
- If selected, works must be mounted on foam core for display.
- Artworks completed by individuals will be considered, but we encourage calendar submissions to be a group effort allowing students to learn and create together.
- Please photograph students during the creation of the artwork, as winning schools will be required to provide a photo of the creative process to accompany the artwork.
PLEASE INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION IN
YOUR SUBMISSION EMAIL TO BE CONSIDERED:
- Art Teacher(s) Name, Email Address, Phone Number
- School/Site Name or Number and Borough
- Title of Work
- Media Used
- Names of Student Artists (First and Last)
- 14 original pieces will be selected and featured in the 2019 VSA NYC calendar.
- Selected artwork will need to be delivered to Marquis Studios / VSA NYC by Monday, June 18.
- Artwork will be showcased in November 2018 at the Marquis Studios / VSA NYC “A Year in Pictures” exhibition at the Pratt Manhattan Gallery.
About Marquis Studios / VSA NYC:
Founded in 1977, Marquis Studios is a non-profit that provides multi-disciplinary arts education services to more than 150 New York City public schools, serving 460,000 students, 26,000 teachers and 15,000 parents. Eighty percent of students served live at or below the poverty line, and more than half of grant-funded programs reach students with disabilities. Marquis Studios empowers students to reach their full potential by encouraging their exploration of visual arts, theater, music, dance, architecture, circus arts and puppetry.About the Kennedy Center Office of VSA and Accessibility
Serving the international disability and arts community, the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts Office of VSA and Accessibility provides opportunities for people with disabilities, of all ages, across the globe to learn through, participate in, and enjoy the arts. A Jean Kennedy Smith Arts and Disability program, the VSA and LEAD international networks support and offer a wide array of programs in cultural access, as well as the art and arts education programs and experiences for individuals with disabilities. Please visit us at: http://education.kennedy-center.org/education/#Access