This Year’s Theme:
CELEBRATING NYC HISTORY
Imagine New York City without any skyscrapers or subway trains! With over 400 years of history, there’s much more to New York than what we see around us today. The 2020 Marquis Studios Calendar Project invites you to celebrate an important moment in New York City History, from early Native American settlements to the American Revolution to the modern city of the 21st century.
What did your neighborhood look like 50, 100 or 400 years ago? How did people get around? And what did they do for work and fun? This year’s Calendar Project invites you and your students to celebrate the rich history of New York City with a collaborative mural. Projects can focus on specific events or broader time periods, but students and teachers are encouraged to draw on the diverse communities and cultures that contributed to New York’s cultural, technological and economic development.
ALL SUBMISSIONS MUST INCLUDE:
- High Resolution Photo of Original Artwork (JPG or PNG files only)
- 2-3 Photographs of Students creating the artwork
- Brief Artist Statement addressing the questions: What did your students learn while exploring the theme: Celebrating NYC History? How have your students benefited from this project?
PLEASE SEND SUBMISSIONS TO: Calendar@MarquisStudios.org
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: Tuesday, May 28, 2019
Teachers will be notified by June 3rd, 2019 if their students’ artwork has been selected.
PLEASE INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION IN
YOUR SUBMISSION EMAIL TO BE CONSIDERED:
- Art Teacher(s) Name, Email Address, Phone Number
- School/Site Name or Number and Borough
- Title of Work
- Media Used
- Names of Student Artists (First and Last)
- Horizontally aligned, approximately 4:3 aspect ratio
- No larger than 40″ length x 30″ height x 6” depth
- If selected, works must be mounted on foam core for display.
- Artworks completed by individuals will be considered, but we encourage calendar submissions to be a group effort allowing students to learn and create together.
- 14 original pieces will be selected and featured in the 2020 Marquis Studios Calendar.
- Selected artwork will need to be delivered to Marquis Studios by Monday, June 17.
- Artwork will be showcased in November 2019 at the Marquis Studios “A Year in Pictures” exhibition at the Pratt Manhattan Gallery.
About Marquis Studios / VSA NYC:
Founded in 1977, Marquis Studios is a non-profit that provides multi-disciplinary arts education services to more than 170 New York City public schools, serving over 500,000 students, 28,000 teachers and 18,000 parents. Eighty percent of students served live at or below the poverty line, and more than half of grant-funded programs reach students with disabilities. Marquis Studios empowers students to reach their full potential by encouraging their exploration of visual arts, theater, music, dance, architecture, circus arts and puppetry.
Serving the international disability and arts community, the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts Office of VSA and Accessibility provides opportunities for people with disabilities, of all ages, across the globe to learn through, participate in, and enjoy the arts. A Jean Kennedy Smith Arts and Disability program, the VSA and LEAD international networks support and offer a wide array of programs in cultural access, as well as the art and arts education programs and experiences for individuals with disabilities. Please visit us at: http://education.kennedy-center.org/education/#Access